This article will explain the new Shift restriction feature.
What is Shift Restriction?
Shift restriction allows an employer to apply certain limitations to a shift regarding clock in and clock out times for that shift.
Restrictions can be added for both web clock in functions as well as physical clocks.
The restrictions that can be applied are as follows:
- Employees have to clock in & out within the shift times - This means that the employee may not clock in before the shift begins and cannot clock out before the shift ends.
- Minutes employee may clock in before the shift starts - This denotes the amount of time before a shift begins that an employee is allowed to clock in via web or physical clock. OPTIONAL.
- Round clock in time to the start of the shift? - If an employee clocks in 10 min(or whatever length of time is allowed) before the shift is scheduled to begin, if allowed, the system will round the punch to match the shift start time.
- Round clock out time to the end of the shift? - If an employee clocks out 10 min(or whatever length of time is allowed) before the shift is scheduled to end, if allowed, the system will round the punch to match the shift end time.
- Round time entries to shift times on physical clocks? - This applies rounding to physical clocks, if not enabled rounding is only applied to web clock. Physical clocks include SMS; BIO; Proximity.
- Rounding is applied to the IN punch once the time entry is completed, for employees that clock in early - this means the entry must have at least an IN and OUT record.
- The end punch will be rounded if the CLOCK OUT time entry is greater that the shift end time.
Enabling Shift Restrictions:
- Login with manager credentials.
- Navigate to Preferences - General Account Information.
- Enable shift restrictions under scheduler preferences.
This will enable the ability to apply restrictions to shifts.
- Navigate to Preferences - Shifts and edit/create a shift.
- Enable the "Employees have to clock in & out within the shift times." under shift restriction settings
As described earlier this will enable shift restriction for the selected shift.
- Enable the rounding and grace time settings (where applicable).
This will apply rounding to punches made.
- Navigate to Scheduler - Current Schedules
- Select the restricted shift and post the schedule
Your restricted shift will now be posted and employees associated to the shift will be restricted on login depending on the desired settings.